Bastl Instruments has announced the Softpop SP2 which they describe as a unique instrument made in collaboration between Casper Electronics and Bastl Instruments. It has been in development for the past three years, and is a complete rework of the original 2017 CASPERxBASTL Softpop. A spokesperson told us, "We believe it is our best work to date despite most of the collaboration on this project having been done remotely due to Covid."
Here's more details direct from the company...
Softpop SP2 is a radical subtractive synth under the influence of unconventional digital control. It's a rare beast that excels at both melody and noise in equal measure.
SP2's favorite sounds include bassline bangers, angelic chord progressions, distorted beats, and water droplets. Softpop also has an external input with enough gain and saturation to process any sound thru the filter and VCA.
Softpop's patchbay is eurorack compatible, and inside the enclosure, there is even a 16-pin eurorack power header (requires 5 volts on the bus-board). Adaptors for mounting the Softpop onto eurorack rails are available as open-source files in several formats.
- Fully analog signal path with integrated digital control
- Patchbay with 37 eurorack compatible patch-points for ultra-flexibility
- Light orb for psychedelic inspiration
- Triangle core oscillator with PWM input and pulse and triangle outputs
- Automatic oscillator tuning and octave-wide fine-tune control
- Quantized V/OCT semitone transpose
- State variable resonant filter with lowpass, bandpass, and highpass modes
- POP control for unique subtle and distorted timbres
- Flexible attack-decay cycling Envelope with a ton of control inputs
- Drone or envelope mode switch for the VCA
- Musical sequencer with a lot of tricks
- 8 step sequencer with pattern chaining to extend the length
- Sequenceable scale quantizer with 8 user-editable scales
- 8 patterns per bank, 8 banks (saved on demand)
- Envelope gates per step
- Slide option per step for that acid feel
- Playback modes will turn your simple patterns on their head
- Temporary FX section (ratchets, arps, noise, and more)
- CV, gate, and clock outputs from the sequencer
- External input for processing audio with dynamics analyzer
- Analog sync Input
- Tempo section with divider/multiplier
- MIDI input for sync and musical control
- XY crossfader utility section and 4-way multiple for advanced patches
Pricing and Availability:
480 EUR excluding VAT or 580 EUR including VAT (depends on country)
The first batch is available for pre-order from our dealers immediately and is shipping in early February. The second batch is expected in April.
We talk to e Seb from Arturia, explore the features
PJ talks to Gaz
And other stuff too...
Dreadbox Hypnosis too