Sonnox has released Oxford Drum Gate which they describe as a brand new Oxford Plug-In for the acoustic drum production world. This is what they have to say about it…
Here at Sonnox HQ we’ve become progressively frustrated with the unreliable results we get when using traditional tools to gate drums; chatter, misdetection, choked and lost ghost notes to name but a few.
Perhaps, like us, you’ve also become tired of the overly complex and time-consuming workflows needed to get the clean and consistent results you want?
Then please let us introduce the Oxford Drum Gate; it's swift and logical workflow solves all these problems and delivers the fastest, most musical and transparent results available.
There are 4 aspects to the Plug-In:
1. At the heart of it is intelligent drum-hit Detection. First, all hits are analysed in real-time using tailor-made transient detection. Then, you simply decide which hits on which drums to keep.
For example, do you need to reduce spill on a snare track in a dynamic mix of backbeats, ghost notes, and cross stick hits?
No problem! Just click the Snare button. Everything else is gated out.
2. Tired of fighting abrupt and un-musical gating? Do you want to keep the natural ring of toms and remove the spill around them?
Easy! Use Drum Gate’s adaptive Decay section to quickly tune the resonance of each tom, in real-time, according to the velocity of each detected hit.
3. Wish you could improve the consistency of the drummer’s performance?
Of course you do! Conform louder main hits and softer background articulations to two separately controlled target level ranges in the Leveller section.
4. Want to augment/replace individual drums with samples and confidently retain the dynamics from the original performance?
Piece of cake! It’s delivered by Drum Gate’s hit detection and MIDI triggering functionality.
- Precise transient detection and intelligent drum-type matching to effortlessly separate the hits you want to keep from the spill you don't.
- Create custom drum profiles to isolate unusual drum types or fix the occasional kick, snare, or tom mismatch.
- Decay curve which adapts to the velocity of each drum hit, giving you consistent spill reduction on dynamic performances.
- Spectral decay editor lets you preserve the resonance, ring, or rattle of each drum hit while quickly clamping down on the spill.
- The leveller's dual target and amount controls let you improve level consistency without losing the contrast between loud hits and soft ghost notes.
- Real-time MIDI output and MIDI file capture, for accurately triggering drum samples.
Pricing and Availability:
The Oxford Drum Gate will launch at an introductory retail price of £127.50/$183.00, $172.00 MAP.
This 25% saving will last until midnight GMT Wednesday 4th December 2019. After which it’ll revert to its full retail price of £170.00/$244.80, $230.00 MAP.
Shimmer reverb and MIDI out too
Oh and NAMM too
Syntakt, Stuber Cherry Audio listening tests
Officially announced today, price