Solid State Logic (SSL) has announced the launch of two new 2U rack-based studio tools: the PURE DRIVE QUAD and PURE DRIVE OCTO microphone preamplifiers. These preamplifiers are available in 4-channel (QUAD) or 8-channel (OCTO) configurations, and both incorporate SSL's SuperAnalogue PureDrive™ Technology, which was initially introduced by the company's ORIGIN recording console. Additionally, these units feature a newly introduced DRIVE mode, comprehensive analog and digital connectivity options and an integrated USB-C soundcard.
A spokesperson told us, "SSL's latest offerings represent some of the most feature-rich outboard microphone preamplifiers on the market, introducing a host of new sonic possibilities and workflows for the discerning producer and recording engineer."
Here's more details direct from SSL...
SSL's contemporary-classic recording console, ORIGIN, introduced the PureDrive™ microphone preamplifier. This innovative preamp retains the clarity and punch of previous SSL designs while offering the added versatility of switching its character to a warm, harmonically rich, and driven tone that varies with gain. The PureDrive™ microphone preamp has become an essential tool in many prestigious studios and recording facilities due to its flexibility and superb sonic signature. PURE DRIVE QUAD and OCTO continue the legacy into rack format, delivering four/eight microphone preamps with ORIGIN's renowned PURE and DRIVE modes, but take it further, adding a new 'Asymmetric' Drive, comprehensive digital connectivity, and an onboard USB-C interface. PURE DRIVE QUAD and OCTO also offer four mic preamp input impedance options, enabling engineers to explore various tonal possibilities or match the Mic Pre's impedance closely to the microphone. Additionally, each mic pre includes independent +48V phantom power, polarity inversion, and a High Pass Filter, which is sweepable on QUAD.
The PURE DRIVE QUAD and OCTO offer a collection of features and workflows never seen before in an outboard mic pre." stated Andy Jackson, – Senior Product Manager - Studio Products " They stand as a testament to SSL's commitment to progressive analogue circuit design, offering exceptional performance and versatility."
One preamp, three different flavours
Both QUAD and OCTO feature three different DRIVE modes: Clean, Classic Drive and Asymmetric Drive. Clean mode delivers SSL's signature ultra-low noise floor, linear preamp. Classic Drive generates predominantly odd harmonics -- the same drive sound found on the ORIGIN console. Finally, Asymmetric Drive makes the even harmonic content dominant, providing more pronounced thickness, colouration, and softening of transients.
PURE DRIVE QUAD and OCTO's versatile analogue and digital connectivity open a world of recording possibilities. Both units feature four front-mounted Hi-Z/DI Instrument inputs with automatic input detection, rear-mounted combo XLR inputs, D-sub connectors for line-level inputs, as well as insert send and insert return. All insert returns/ADC inputs operate up to full +24 dBu line-level, for interfacing with other professional equipment. Digitally, QUAD and OCTO feature an integrated USB-C soundcard providing conversion up to 32-Bit/192 kHz, AES/EBU outputs, and ADAT out with SMUX. The AES and ADAT outputs can be individually repurposed to be fed from the onboard USB soundcard as outputs from your DAW. Finally, there's an auto-ranging word clock input and output for robust digital clocking.
• Four and eight channel high-performance PureDrive™ mic preamps
• +48V phantom power, polarity invert and 3rd order hi-pass filter (sweepable on QUAD)
• Stepped Gain control up to +65 dB Gain
• 31-step Trim control, with precise 1 dB increments – overdrive the signal with the Gain control and then reduce to a suitable level using Trim.
• 3 modes for each preamp – Clean, Classic Drive and Asymmetric Drive
• Mic/Line Input Switching
• Mic via XLR
• Line via choice of TRS Jack or dedicated D-Sub connectivity
• 4 x front panel Hi-Z/DI Instrument unbalanced inputs with automatic input detection
• 4 mic preamp input impedance options – explore new tonal possibilities from your dynamic and ribbon microphones
• Balanced analogue outputs/insert sends for external processing
• +24 dBu professional line level insert returns/ADC inputs
• Analogue to digital connectivity via ADAT, AES and USB – record to your DAW in the way that best suits you
• Ability to switch ADAT and AES connections to source audio from DAW outputs (USB) instead of the A/D converter
• Cascade 2 PURE DRIVE QUAD units via convenient ADAT LINK IN connection
• USB soundcard mode
• QUAD – 12 in / 12 out (@44.1/48 kHz)
• 4 x analogue + 8 x ADAT in (via Link in) / 4 AES + 8 ADAT outs
• OCTO – 8 in / 24 out (@44.1/48 kHz)
• 8 x analogue / 8 AES + 16 ADAT outs
• Stepped pots and digitally controlled analogue electronics for precision, stereo matching and ease of recall
• Up to 192 kHz and 32-bit conversion, professional I/O levels (+24 dBu = 0 dBFS).
• Selectable Auto-Sleep mode
• Auto-ranging Wordclock In and Out
Pricing and Availability:
SSL's new PURE DRIVE QUAD and OCTO preamplifiers are priced at £833/ $1399 / €1,229.00 (excluding VAT) and £1499 / $2499 / €1,829.00 (excluding VAT) respectively.
Supercharged mono synth as plug-in
New ambient algorithmic reverberator