Modal Electronics has confirmed the immediate release of a new firmware update v1.1 of their COBALT Series extended virtual analogue synthesisers. They say that featuring six new algorithms for their unique waveform architecture, alongside a number of user-requested workflow enhancements, the COBALT8, COBALT8M and COBALT8X furnish producers, performers and synth fanatics with even more fuel to ignite their creativity. Here's the company's press release...
The COBALT Series: Beyond Analogue
Comprising three models - the COBALT8, COBALT8M and COBALT8X - the COBALT Series take the revered attributes of legendary vintage synths from the past, injecting progressive concepts in sound generation techniques without compromising the timbral warmth and iconic workflow modern creators demand. Fusing Modal Electronics' sophisticated modulation and performance engine, this family of synths deliver an expansive and diverse spectrum of sounds applicable to all musical genres.
Under the hood, the COBALT Series is fueled by dual independent oscillator groups with up to 4 oscillators each and an immense 40 unique complex algorithms to choose from. Fuse this with MPE support, 1:1 integration with MODALapp, an integrated 512-note realtime/step sequencer, a 32-step programmable arpeggiator with powerful animation lanes, connectivity for any situation and Modal Electronics's proprietary morphable 4-pole Ladder Filter, and it's easy to see why the COBALT Series heralds a new era in virtual-analogue synthesiser technology.
New in Firmware v1.1
With the introduction of COBALT8 Firmware v1.1, users have access to six new unique algorithms firmly focussed on FM and AM oscillation models complete with dual controls for precise sound sculpting capability. These new algorithms include:
- FM Saw:Square: Frequency Modulation using a Sawtooth as the carrier and a Square as the modulator with full control over FM Depth (A) and Modulator Frequency Ratio (B)
- FM Square:Square: Frequency Modulation using a Square as both the carrier and modulator with full control over FM Depth (A) and Modulator Frequency Ratio (B)
- FM Tri:Square: Frequency Modulation using a Triangle as the carrier and a Square as the modulator with full control over FM Depth (A) and Modulator Frequency Ratio (B)
- Noise AM Saw: Sawtooth Wave amplitude modulated by a filtered noise source with control over AM Depth (A) and Noise filter cutoff (B)
- Noise AM Square: Square Wave amplitude modulated by a filtered noise source with control over AM Depth (A) and Noise filter cutoff (B)
- Noise AM Tri: Triangle Wave amplitude modulated by a filtered noise source with full control over AM Depth (A) and Noise filter cutoff (B)
In addition, Firmware v1.1 adds a raft of new feature updates and workflow enhancements including a Master Clock Mode to continually send MIDI clock information to compatible studio peripherals. Go here for a full breakdown of the enhancements facilitated by Firmware Update 1.1.
In tandem with the COBALT8 Firmware Update v1.1, Modal Electronics has also released MODALapp v2.7, empowering the synth making community with a number of stability enhancements and performance improvements. MODALapp is a free sound editor for Modal Electronics hardware. It allows precise edits for all synthesis and performance features alongside facilities to effortlessly install the latest firmware updates across the entire line of Modal Electronics Synthesisers.
As a multi-platform app it is available for macOS, iOS, iPadOS, Windows computers and Android mobile devices. The additional VST3 and AU plug-ins keep users firmly in the flow while producing music with any compatible DAW software, like Ableton Live, Cubase, Logic Pro X and others.
Go here to view the latest release notes for MODALapp v2.7.
Pricing and Availability:
The COBALT Series are available immediately via an extensive network of authorised Modal Electronics retailers globally.
From recent Brighton gig
New Stereo features and FX algos
Questions for the panel with Brie and Chris
Oh and NAMM too