The XFM2 Synthesizer Module is the second generation of the XFM Synthesizer Project. XFM2 is a 64-voice, 2-part, 6-operator FM Synthesizer with built-in effects processor, built on an FPGA chip. This is what designers FUTUR3SOUNDZ has to say about it...
Stepping up from the Xilinx Spartan-6 used in XFM, XFM2 is based on the Xilinx Artix-7 35T FPGA chip. With almost four times the capacity, of the previous one, this new chip offers plenty of space for a more complex build.
Also stepping up from XFM, the simple 16-bit digital-to-analog converters have been upgraded to a 24-bit dedicated chip, with high-end output filters. The analog outputs have then greater dynamic range, higher S/N ratio and lower distortion.
The build is based on two pre-assembled development boards: the Digilent CMOD A7-35T (FPGA, USB, SRAM) and the Adafruit UDA1334A (DAC). This combination allows to get the module running in less than 10 components (about $99 total cost).
- 2-part, 64-voice polyphony (32-voice for each part)
- Polyphonic/Monophonic Legato modes
- The two parts can work as individual synthesizers, or layered
- 6 operators per voice
- 2 independent oscillators on each operator
- 8 waveforms per operator
- Variable modulation algorithm (extended from XFM to allow for multiple feedback loops)
- A 7-segment, loopable Envelope Generator for each operator
- (DAD1D2SR1R2, with time and level controls for each segment)
- 7-segment loopable Pitch Envelope Generator
- Per-voice LFO with Triangle, Square, Sine, Random waveforms
- Per-operator adjustable LFO sensitivity for pitch and volume
- Per-operator adjustable velocity tracking, keyboard tracking
- Polyphonic /Monophonic portamento
- Pitch bend range adjustable independently for up and down directions
- Extensive MIDI implementation (pitch bend, mod wheel, aftertouch, sustain pedal, breath ctl, foot ctl, volume, pan, chorus, reverb, delay, tremolo, etc.)
- Four per-program assignable Performance Controls, which allow any parameter to be controlled by MIDI continuous controls messages.
- All synthesizer and effects parameters (300+) adjustable via MIDI system exclusive messages.
- Two complete stereo-in/stereo-out effect processors (one per part), including:
- Amplitude Modulator
- All of above effects can be run simultaneously, for both parts
- Stereo Reverb with individual sends per part
- 128 programs memory (EEPROM)
- MIDI in, optional thru
- Samplerate-grade modulations
- 24-bit stereo analog out
- Optional Stereo, 24-bit SPDIF digital out
- Battery friendly, low power operation
- Fully programmable (connecting it to a PC via USB)
- Nearly zero latency (< 0.5ms)
- Extremely fast boot time (< 100ms)
Pricing and Availability: