TASCAM tell us that their new DP-004 Digital Pocketstudio
is based on 30 years of easy-to-use cassette Portastudios, updated with four tracks of CD-quality digital recording. They say that, like those groundbreaking Portastudios, a row of knobs set levels and pan instead of a list of menus. Here's the rest of what they have to say about it...
The DP-004 can record two sources at once to the included 1GB SD Card. A built-in stereo condenser microphone makes it simple to record anywhere you go, perfect for concerts, rehearsals and songwriting inspirations. A pair of 1/4" jacks on the rear panel allow you to connect your own microphones or sources. You can even switch the inputs to guitar level for recording.
The DP-004 allows you to build up your arrangement until you've filled up all four tracks. The Bounce feature allows you to consolidate tracks and make room for more overdub layers. Also available is an autopunch feature for fixing problems, track editing and an undo function.
Mixing is also built into the Digital Pocketstudio. Once you set levels and pan, record your mix onto a dedicated stereo master track. You're able to transfer your tracks and mixes to a computer over USB 2 for CD burning and sharing online.
Despite its go-anywhere compact design - smaller than a paperback book - the DP-004 is simple enough for students, songwriters and musicians who want to keep their recording process simple and creative.
- Two 1/4" unbalanced mic/line inputs
- Switchable guitar input
- Headphone/Line output
- USB 2.0 connector
- Four-track digital multitrack recording
- CD-quality 44.1kHz/16-bit WAV recording
- Records to SD Card media (1GB card included)
- Autopunch, repeat and record undo
- Dedicated stereo mixdown track
Pricing and Availability:
- Powered through AA Batteries or optional PS-P520 power adapter
- Battery life: About 8 hours recording, about 8.5 hours playback (alkaline batteries)
- Dimensions: 6.1" W x 1.3" H x 4.2" D (155mm W x 33.5mm H x 107mm D)
- Weight: 2.8 oz (360 g, w/o batteries)