Steinberg has announced the immediate availability of HALion 7. They say that this latest increment of its sound creation powerhouse brings an array of new and exciting features to the table. They ell us that, alongside this major release, updates to HALion Sonic and the all-encompassing Absolute collection offer an impressive range of sounds and instruments.
Florian Haack, senior marketing manager at Steinberg, told us, "HALion 7 comes with endless sonic possibilities for music production and sound design. With the many additions like FM and spectral synthesis, new advanced tools, and outstanding instruments, HALion delivers infinite inspiration for creating unique sounds."
Here's more details direct from Steinberg...
HALion is renowned for combining an outstanding sampling engine with the very latest in synthesis technology. Users can easily harness HALion's in-depth capabilities, accessing each nuance through comprehensive sound-shaping parameters that turn HALion into the go-to sound design instrument for creative musicians and discerning professionals.
Version 7 takes HALion to the next level, delivering a detail-rich sound design environment. It introduces the power of FM and spectral synthesis, offers a new approach to modulation, envelope customization, many new processing effects and much more to make the latest iteration of HALion an essential successor.
HALion 7 introduces two completely new zones: the FM Zone and the Spectral Zone. Dedicated to FM synthesis, the FM Zone combines up to eight operators that can be used as carriers or sent to feedback loops, and its algorithm designer helps to create every imaginable FM sound -- from classic DX7 tones to present-day sounds. The Spectral Zone features a spectral oscillator with a newly developed time stretch and resynthesis algorithm which works great even at extreme settings and also transforms samples into new sounds. But its true power unfolds with the included formant shift, spectral filter, purity and inharmonicity.
Further highlights of this new version are the instruments, FM Lab and Tales. FM Lab is an eight-operator FM synthesizer that features algorithms from the Yamaha DX7, FM-X and TX81Z, 20 high-quality effects in a five-insert rack, many modulation options and an arpeggiator for creating evolving sounds. Tales is an open-tuned guitar, with each string individually sampled as open notes and tuned to different pitches, plus recording articulations like muted notes and harmonics.
For easier workflows, HALion now features new modulation rows, allowing users to click directly on the modulation destination or source for further edits, as well as assigning modulation sources by easy drag and drop. The User Envelope now offers pre-designed shapes and allows customers to design completely customized envelope shapes as well.
Users also will enjoy the new look of HALion 7, thanks to an updated user interface and redesigned MediaBay, allowing for easier access to HALion's content and controls. Its uncluttered structure and context-sensitive search make browsing for the right samples, layers, programs and presets more efficient. Improved menus, zones and icons, the optional auto-size for macro view and preconfigured screen sets for different use cases also make using HALion faster and more intuitive.
HALion further focuses on wavetable synthesis, introducing new tools and providing a new dimension to the advanced synth engine. Users can create wavetables with up to 1,024 individual waves and load multichannel files in up to 5.1 surround. Its new set of tools offers maximum control and accuracy for wavetable editing.
Other new features are included in the Macro Page Editor, such as working deeply with SVG resources, for developing creative instruments.
HALion 7 uses the identity-based Steinberg Licensing system, first introduced last year, which offers significant new flexibility without the need for a physical copy-protection device.
Other updates to the HALion family include HALion Sonic 7, which is now the free player for HALion libraries and replaces HALion Sonic SE. The new HALion Sonic 7 Collectioncomprises the HALion Sonic 7 player, all instruments from HALion 6 plus the brand-new FM Lab and Tales instruments. With Absolute 6, customers receive all the instruments and expansions known from the previous version of Absolute plus new HALion 7.
New features in HALion 7
• FM Zone: Freely combine up to eight operators, use them as carriers or send them to feedback loops; includes an algorithm finder, an algorithm designer and SYX file import.
• Spectral Zone: The new spectral oscillator features a new in-house developed time stretch and resynthesis algorithm. It allows users to change playback speed in real time without affecting the pitch, it can also transform samples into completely new sounds.
• FM Lab: A full-blown eight operator FM synthesizer with hundreds of cutting-edge presets
• Tales: A beautifully sampled guitar. Guitar strings were individually sampled as open notes and then tuned to a different pitch, giving each one a very pure, intimate sound additionally layered with acoustic and synthesized textures
• Modulation reimagined: Shape, tweak and animate your sounds more easily than ever with HALion's new modulation concept.
• New Shaper Envelope: The User Envelope now has brush, pen and eraser tools for intuitively drawing and customizing envelopes.
• A fresh new look and feel: Updated interface, a redesigned MediaBay and search plus many workflow improvements
• Advanced wavetable synthesis for multichannel files with up to 5.1 surround and spectral filters
• Additional new features: 10 new effects, Decompose, X-LFO, Chord export from Trigger Pads, impulse response import and the new Oscilloscope
• New tools for designing instruments like SVG resources which can be animated by Lua and color options
Pricing and Availability:
HALion 7 is available from selected dealers and through the Steinberg Online Shop for 349 euros and 349.99 US dollars. The HALion Sonic 7 Collection is available exclusively through the Steinberg Online Shop for 249 euros and 249.99 US dollars. Absolute 6 for 499 euros and 499.99 US dollars. Prices may vary according to the region.
A range of downloadable updates and upgrades, crossgrades, and education versions are exclusively available through the Steinberg Online Shop.
Customers who have activated HALion 6, Absolute 5 or earlier versions since November 1, 2022, are eligible for a free, downloadable grace period update to the latest version.
Tales and FM Lab are available as standalone libraries for HALion Sonic 7 for 119 euros or 119.99 US dollars and 149 euros or 149.99 US dollars, respectively.
White iLoud monitors and a new modelling guitar pedal
CV controlled mixing console and some distinctly dirty effects
Virtual studio even more virtual
Barbie's drum machine!
80s inspired multi-fx pedal
Small, short and sweet