Dynamic Range Day - an annual geek holiday celebrating dynamic range in recording vs the 'loudness wars" - is on its way, and organizers released this chart to help promote it.
The chart compares the dynamic range of a variety of recordings, highlighting the fact the more recent recordings are getting "louder" and loosing a great deal of dynamic range in the process.
Not only is Justin Bieber's My World 2.0 louder than Metallica's The Black Album, it's louder than The Sex Pistols' Never Mind The Bollocks.
Dynamic Range Day is an annual event, organized by ProductionAdvice.co.uk, to raise awareness of the compromises made in the race for greater "loudness". This year's event is scheduled for March 25th.
Why raise awareness of dynamic range and the Loudness Wars?
- Organizers cite several reasons:
- Research shows there is no connection between “loudness” and sales
- People don’t notice loudness when comparing songs
- Dynamic music sounds better on the radio
- Modern music players negate loudness by using ReplayGain
- Most listeners just turn loud music down !
Details at the Production Advice site.
More News: Like This
Even more news...