Affilliate Links help support the site
Korg tell us that their new compact R3
synthesizer/vocoder packs the main feature set and sounds of the upscale RADIAS into an affordable and portable performance keyboard. Its Multi Modeling Technology (MMT) synth engine provides a wide diversity of synthesis techniques, and incorporates ultra low-aliasing oscillator performance borrowed from the OASYS.
The 128 onboard Programs are organized by sound category for fast access. A single R3 Program consists of two complete Timbres â€” each is a complete synth sound including dual Insert effects (30 effect types) and assignable EQ. The Program itself offers a Master effect, plus an 8 step arpeggiator.
Two oscillators offer analog-modeled waves, DWGS waves, noise, sync, ring mod and more. Waveform modulation, Variable Phase Modulation (VPM), Unison voice thickening, PWM and cross-mod expand the sonic palette. Two LFOs and three ADSR envelopes shape the sound and add cyclic motion to nearly any voice parameter. Various modulation sources and destinations can be connected together using the six Virtual Patches.
Dual Filters can run in series, parallel, or side by side (individual for each oscillator). Filter1 features a multi-mode filter covering 24 dB low pass, 12 dB low pass, 12 dB high and band pass modes, with the ability to continuously â€œmorphâ€� between these states. Filter2 offers 12 dB versions of the low, high and band pass modes, plus a unique comb filter.
Additional features include:
- Modulation Sequencers (one per Timbre) provide discrete values to a modulation parameter that changes over time, either in stepped or smooth motion, and can continuously loop.
- Audio inputs allow external audio signals to be gated and processed using the internal synthesis and effects.
- â€œDriveâ€� adds analog warmth, Punch brings increased definition to the attack of a sound, and 12-types of Wave Shaping provide dramatic timbral shaping â€” even offering a virtual â€œpick-upâ€� response.
- A 16-band vocoder has individual control over level and panning. Formant Motion records the formant of a sung or spoken phrase so it can be recreated anytime. A gooseneck mic is included.
- The built-in Arpeggiator offers individual step on/off feature.
- The intuitive interface incorporates a master display and four Performance knobs with dedicated displays and halo-style LEDs for viewing parameter names and values.
- 37 full-size, velocity sensing keys; Pitch and Mod wheels.
Users can manage sounds with the free sound editing and librarian software. A single USB connection allows quick and easy data transfer.
Pricing and Availability:
The Korg R3 will be available in May 2007 with pricing TBA.