MOTU is shipping the M6, a new USB-C bus-powered audio interface for Mac, Windows and iOS. They say that it offers best-in-class audio quality, best-in-class speed (ultra-low latency) and best-in-class metering with a full-color LCD. Jim Cooper, Director of Marketing at MOTU, told us, "Similar to the M2 and M4, the M6 delivers unmatched audio performance and features in a four mic input interface at this price." Here's more details direct from the company...
With more I/O than the M2 and M4, the 6-input/4-output M6 features four mic/line/hi-Z guitar inputs with individual preamp gain and 48V phantom power, two additional 1/4-inch analog inputs, one-touch hardware (direct) monitoring of all inputs (in mono or stereo), four 1/4-inch balanced analog outputs, two headphone outputs with independent volume, MIDI I/O, and "loopback" driver channels for live-streaming and podcasting.
The M6 also features an A/B monitor switch, unique to its class, to compare mix output on two sets of studio monitors. Driven by ESS Sabre32 Ultra™ DAC Technology, both headphone outputs mirror the signal on Monitor Outs 1-2 and feature independent volume control. The second headphone output includes a 3-4 switch that allows it to independently monitor Line Outs 3-4, which can provide a completely separate mix from the computer.
With bus-powered operation for USB-C computer hosts, the M6 includes a multi-blade international DC power adapter that allows the M6 to provide stand-alone monitoring, without a computer. The power adapter also provides power when the M6 is connected to a USB-A computer host.
Equipped with the same ESS Sabre32 Ultra™ DAC Technology found in audio interfaces costing thousands, the M6 delivers an astonishing 120 dB Dynamic Range on its balanced, DC-coupled outputs. Thanks to MOTU's expertly engineered M Series USB drivers, the M6 delivers class-leading, ultra-low 2.5 ms Round Trip Latency (with a 32 sample buffer at 96 kHz). The M6 is the only audio interface in its class with a full-color, high-resolution LCD featuring clear, detailed level meters for all inputs and outputs.
M6 feature highlights
• 6-in / 4-out USB audio interface with studio-quality sound
• Best-in-class audio quality driven by ESS Sabre32 Ultra™ DAC Technology
• Best-in-class speed (ultra-low latency) for host software processing
• Best-in-class metering for all inputs/outputs with a full-color LCD
• 4 x mic/line/hi-Z guitar inputs on combo XLR/TRS
• Individual preamp gain and 48V phantom power for each mic input
• 2 x balanced 1/4-inch line inputs
• Hardware (direct) monitoring for all inputs (in mono or stereo)
• Monitor mix knob to balance live inputs and computer playback
• A/B switch to compare mix output on two sets of studio monitors
• Measured -129 dB EIN on mic inputs
• 4 x balanced, DC-coupled 1/4-inch TRS outputs
• Measured 120 dB dynamic range on the 1/4-inch balanced TRS outputs
• 2 x headphone outs (driven by ESS converters) with independent volume control
• 1 x 3-4 switch for optional headphone monitoring of Line Out 3-4
• MIDI in/out (16 channels to/from USB host)
• Support for 44.1 to 192 kHz sample rates
• USB audio class compliant for plug-and-play operation on Mac (no driver required)
• Windows driver with 2.5 ms Round Trip Latency (32 sample buffer at 96 kHz)
• Mac driver (optional, for 2.5 ms RTL@32/96 kHz and loopback feature)
• iOS compatible (USB audio class compliant)
• Driver loopback for capturing host output, live streaming and podcasting
• Bus-powered USB-C (compatible with USB Type A) with power switch (USB cables included)
• Multi-blade international DC power adapter for stand-alone operation without a computer
• Rugged metal construction (extruded case, faceplates and knobs)
• Workstation software included (MOTU Performer Lite and Ableton Live Lite 11)
• 100+ instruments (in Performer Lite)
• Over 6 GB of included free loops, samples and one-shots from industry leading libraries
• Kensington security slot
• Two-year warranty
Pricing and Availability:
Audio separation, tech and ethics
Hands-on demo of the Exquis and its MPE expressivity
Obscure synth ditties for your festivities