Following on from the recent announcement of the East Beast, for Superbooth Cre8audio has announced a companion instrument focussed on the West Coast method.
In true Cre8Audio style nomenclature, West Pest, is a new semi-modular desktop synthesizer following the same desktop form as the EB.
Designed in partnership with ace analogue engineer Richard Nicol of Pittsburgh Modular, West Pest is a powerful monophonic full voice, integrating imaginative sound-shaping tools with traditionally "west coast" concepts.
We'll be making a b-line for it at NAMM in a couple of days - stay tuned.
In the mean-time, here's the details in their own words...
West Pest's unique sound has been influenced by Pittsburgh's acclaimed Voltage Research Lab synthesizer.
The Pittsburgh-designed core oscillator technology has matured through the development of their SV-1 and later with Voltage Research Laboratory. This iteration's waveforms have been optimized to be run through West Pest's wavefolder.
Wave folding/shaping is integral to West Pest's foundation. Wavefolding amplifies incoming waveforms. Rather than clipping or distorting, the wavefolder circuit folds the waveforms back onto themselves, creating upwards of six folds to add vast harmonic complexity and depth.
West Pest's snappy, responsive articulation is accomplished by the "Dynamics Controller," Pittsburgh Modular's original invention. This unique concept is designed to behave like a traditional filter, a VCA, and an envelope generator, all at once. Upon note trigger, the filter opens fully and rapidly, producing a sharp, percussive attack. At release, the Dynamics Controller adds a ringing, resonant decay, resulting in a rounder, more musical sound. The Dynamics Controller is the product of years of research by Pittsburgh's founder Richard Nicol, and Chief of R&D Michael Johnsen. Inspired by the developments of West Coast synthesis pioneer Don Buchla, Pittsburgh Modular has modernized and evolved these concepts, taking them into new realms, adding wider range, consistency, stability, and resonance control, as well as an infinitely variable, ringing decay.
Going beyond these analog sound-sculpting tools, West Pest also includes a deep new digital multi-mod /multi-function tool concept to add more flavor to the Pest's production. The multi-mod lets users select between additional clock synced LFO, decay envelope, MIDI-controlled modulation, and random voltage generator modes.
West Pest's compositional and performance capabilities are as robust as its ferocious sonic engine. West Pest can be controlled via MIDI, control voltage (CV/Gate), and its function keys, which double as a keyboard controller. Also included is an integrated sequencer & arpeggiator that can also be controlled via MIDI and is externally clockable.
A semi-modular synthesizer, West Pest has basically 8 different patchable modules (Oscillator, wave contour, dynamics controller, LFO, multi-mod tool, MIDI to CV converter, step sequencer, and button keyboard) with a whopping 18 Eurorack compatible patch points to plug into itself and your other gear. As a starting point, West Pest comes intuitively patched internally to create a bold and flexible full synth voice. Using the patch points enables users to reroute internal signal flow, as well as use with external eurorack format modules and synthesizers. To promote experimentation, Cre8audio has included a set of premium Nazca Noodles patch cables.
West Pest key features and other info:
- West coast style additive monophonic synthesizer
- Controllable via MIDI, CV, and integrated button keyboard
- Fully patchable - use West Pest's components as separate modules with external devices or reroute its internal patching. It's like having 8 individual modules (Oscillator, wave contour, dynamics controller, LFO, multi-mod tool, MIDI to CV converter, sequencer, and button keyboard).
- 32 step sequencer with up to 13 presets
- Generative sequencing mode
- Clock-synced arpeggiator
- Step sequencer can be manipulated & transposed via MIDI and the integrated button keyboard
- Pittsburgh Modular Synthesizer developed 100% analog oscillator
- Oscillator waveforms - sine, triangle, and saw - Waveforms can be combined
- Oscillator includes frequency modulation (FM)
- Pittsburgh Modular Synthesizer famous wave folder/shaper circuit - folds inputted waves back onto themselves to yield rich harmonic texture
- Pittsburgh Dynamics Controller - 100% modern circuitry designed to behave like a traditional filter, VCA, and envelope generator all at once.
- Dual range analog LFO with square and triangle wave outputs
- LFO Range - High: 2 Hz to 500 Hz Low: 41s to 5 Hz
- Digital multi-mod tool - modulation control via CV, random generator, and extra LFO and envelope generator
- Internal clock with tap tempo and can be clocked via an external source.
- Built-in clock divider
- Use standalone in its included case or removed to use as a eurorack format module
- Specifications for when used as a eurorack module
- Width when used as a module = 40hp
- Depth when used as a module = 25mm
- 213mA power draw when running +12V rail
- 151mA power draw when running -12V
- Input voltage range of oscillator = 0-10V
- Included in the box - 1x West Pest, 1x West Pest wall-wart power supply, 5x Amazing Nazca Noodles Patch Cables, 2x 3.5mm to 5 pin MIDI Din pigtails, and love (love's presence likely, but not guaranteed)
Pricing and Availability:
West Pest is imminently available with an estimated street price of $249.99 / €249.99
Complex multi-delay FX plug-in
Nifty inline doo dahs
Hold on, there's more
They want to unleash the power