Cre8audio has announced East Beast, a new semi-modular desktop synthesizer. They say that, designed and developed in partnership with Pittsburgh Modular Synthesizers, East Beast is a powerful monophonic full voice with many unique sound-shaping tools and deep performance capabilities. Here's more details direct from the company...
Beware the beast!
East Beast's massive sound has been heavily influenced by Pittsburgh's highly successful SV-1 and SV-1b synthesizers.
At its core, you'll find its 100% analog, Pittsburgh-designed oscillator. The oscillator features sine, saw, triangle, and square waveforms that can also be used in combinations. Rounding out its sonic core is FM and pulse width modulation (PWM).
To shape the sound, East Beast includes an analog envelope generator, VCA, LFOs, and a Pittsburgh "Zero Dead Spot" multi-mode filter. The "Zero Dead Spot" filter is the product of years of research into analog filter design by Pittsburgh's founder Richard Nicol, and Chief of R&D Michael Johnsen. Unlike more traditional ladder filters, the PGH "Zero Dead Spot" filter does not distort as readily and features no sonic dead spots. The result is a fully sweepable frequency range that produces a rich velvety sound throughout each of its lowpass, high-pass, and bandpass modes.
In addition to the analog sound-shaping tools mentioned previously, East Beast also includes a deep new digital multi-mod /multi-function tool concept to add more options. The multi-mod lets the user select between an additional envelope, clock synced LFO, MIDI CC control, and random voltage generator modes.
A semi-modular synthesizer, East Beast has basically 9 different patchable modules (Oscillator, filter, envelope, VCA, LFO, multi-mod tool, sequencer, MIDI to CV converter, and button keyboard) with a whopping 18 Eurorack compatible patch points to plug into itself and your other gear. As a starting point, East Beast comes intuitively patched internally to create a bold and flexible full synth voice. Using the patch points enables the users to reroute internal signal flow as well as use with external eurorack format modules and synthesizers. To help facilitate experimentation, Cre8audio has included a set of premium Nazca Noodles patch cables.
East Beast's playing and performance capabilities are as strong as its powerful sonic core. East Beast can be controlled via MIDI, control voltage (CV/Gate), and its function keys double as a keyboard controller. Additionally, included is an integrated sequencer & arpeggiator that can also be controlled via MIDI and is externally clockable.
East Beast key features and other info:
- East coast style subtractive monophonic synthesizer
- Controllable via MIDI, CV, and integrated button keyboard
- Fully patchable - use East Beast's components as separate modules with external devices or reroute its internal patching. It's like having 9 individual modules (Oscillator, filter, envelope, VCA, LFO, multi-mod tool, sequencer, MIDI to CV converter, and button keyboard).
- 32 step sequencer with up to 13 presets
- Generative sequencing mode
- Clock-synced arpeggiator
- Step sequencer can be manipulated & transposed via MIDI and the integrated button keyboard
- Pittsburgh Modular Synthesizer developed 100% analog oscillator
- Oscillator waveforms - sine, triangle, saw, square, and pitched noise - Waveforms can be combined
- Oscillator includes pulse-width modulation (PWM) and frequency modulation (FM)
- Variable state, multi-mode PGH "No-Dead-Spots" filter (lowpass, bandpass, highpass, modes can be combined)
- Analog envelope generator
- Integrated VCA
- Dual-range analog LFO with triangle wave output
- Digital multi-mod tool - modulation control via CV, random generator, and extra LFO and envelope generator
- Internal clock with tap tempo and can be clocked via an external source.
- Built-in clock divider
- Can be used standalone in its included case or removed and used as a eurorack format module
- Specifications for when used as a eurorack module
- Width when used as a module = 40hp
- Depth when used as a module = 25mm
- 213mA power draw when running +12V rail
- 151mA power draw when running -12V
- Input voltage range of oscillator = 0-10V
Included in the box - 1x East Beast, 1x East Beast wall-wart power supply, 5x Amazing Nazca Noodles Patch Cables, 2x 3.5mm to 5 pin MIDI Din pigtails, and love (love's presence likely, but not guaranteed)
Pricing and Availability:
East Beast is available imminently with an estimated street price of $249.99 / €249.99
Small, yet surprisingly good.
With a mesmerising display
The new machine and looper
Chat plus Transit, NI X1 MK3 and more