Overloud has released Gem Modula, the latest edition to their Gems series of mixing/mastering plug-ins. They tell us that it emulates classic modulation units such as the Dimension D, Solina Ensemble and SPX90. Here's the details in their own words...
Modula includes three iconic units in one plug-in:
DIMENSION - The Dimension unit offers a very soft and organic modulation. It was the go-to unit for vocals in the 80s and 90s but it can also be used on a full mix to increase the space perception without adding reverb. Its input section has a very musical harmonic generation when pushed into saturation.
ENSEMBLE - The Ensemble circuit was included in a line of string machines, so it is particularly suited for synth and pad sounds. It can greatly enhance stereo depth on strings and soundscapes as well.
SYMPHONIC - The Symphonic unit is the classic digital chorus of the 90s. It has a 3-voice modulation scheme with sinewave LFOs for heavy modulations. It was the Zakk Wylde and Mike Stern chorus, but it has been heavily used on vocals and synths as well.
Along with spot-on emulations of the original units, Overloud also extends the features of the original hardware and combines the flexibility of the digital world with the character of analog processing:
- INPUT SATURATION - You can push the input stages of the units into saturation to drive their super-musical harmonic generation.
- BUILT-IN EQ - With the built-in parametric EQ you can sculpt the tone of the wet signal without the need of complex external routing.
- STEREO WIDTH CONTROL - You can change the amount of the stereo width, from mono to double the original width.
- DUAL-MONO MODE - With the Dual-Mono Mode you can process the left and the right channels separately with different settings in order to increase the stereo depth. Parameters can be linked individually using the custom link panel.
- ENVELOPE CONTROLLED PARAMETERS - All the main parameters can be dynamically controlled by the input envelope. The effect will "breathe" according to the level of the input signal. This is particularly useful in Electronic Music. For example, the modulation speed can increase during the transients. Or the amount of effect can be decreased on louder passages to increase their clarity, while keeping a sense of wider space on the softer parts.
- CUSTOMIZE LFO SHAPES - Thanks to the analog modeling design, it is possible to virtually mod the original circuit and change the LFO and filter's behavior while keeping the character of the original unit. You can experiment with using LFO shapes to change the motion of the modulation, or add resonances to transform the chorus into a flanger, for example.
Pricing and Availability:
€69 / $79 until October 4th (Regular price: €129 / $139)
Samplab, Techmoan, Soundiron Piano, Reeses Puffs
Music making challenges to focus the mind
6 affordable options for new synth explorers
Classic single VCO mono synth