Inphonik has announced the release of a free effect plug-in - the PCM2612 Retro Decimator Unit for Windows, macOS, GNU/Linux and iOS. Here's the story in their own words...
The PCM2612 Retro Decimator Unit is a bitcrusher effect based on the same technology developed for Inphonik's RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer (their rendition of the Sega Genesis sound chip). The 8-bit decimation is inherited from the FM synth's PCM playback feature, packed in a simple and compact effect unit. It gives a distinctive 8-bit quantized and aliased effect to any sound you plug into it. On one hand, it adds distorsion due to the 8-bit quantization, and on the other hand it adds aliasing due to the resampling. Also, the PCM2612 can emulate the line-out circuitry of the Sega Genesis Model 1, released in 1988
The little effect plug-in is available now, for free, as VST, Audio Unit, AAX, Rack Extension and iOS App.
This is the first Inphonik plug-in that is native for Linux and Apple Silicon M1.
This is also the first Inphonik plug-in that features two different graphical interfaces: one vertical (box) and one horizontal (rack), to suit the various devices and preferences of users.
This free plug-in has a backstory. The PC2612 resolves a problem encountered with the RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer's PCM playback feature that not all DAW could use appropriately, due to its audio-in functionality that's not so common for an instrument plug-in. Inphonik decided to fix this problem by publishing a free effect plug-in with this feature only, to help their users to enjoy the PCM playback feature that emphasizes the company's love for the YM2612's 8-bit sound. The PCM2612 is also a new piece to their RYM2612 ecosystem. As much as their RYMCast Genesis VGM Player, the PCM2612 has a place of choice as a companion effect plug-in that completes Inphonik's offer in the Sega sound emulation field.
Key features :
- 32-steps scalable 8-bit decimation
- Dry / Wet level knob
- Stereo / Mono switch
- Switchable output filtering between Legacy (modeled after the Sega Genesis Model 1 amp output circuitry) and Crystal Clear (purely digital)
- Graphical interface scaling options (1x, 1.5x, 2x)
- Switchable graphical form factor (vertical box or horizontal rack)
- Low CPU usage
- Native Linux and Apple Silicon plug-in
- 64-bit VST 2, VST 3, 64-bit AAX plug-in for Windows (Vista and higher)
- 64-bit VST 2, VST 3, AU, AAX plug-in for macOS (Intel & Apple Silicon, 10.7 and higher)
- 64-bit VST for Linux
- Rack Extension for Reason (10.1 and higher for Windows and macOS)
- AUv3/IAA app for iOS (9.3 and higher for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch)
Sega and Yamaha brand names are trademark of their respective owners. PCM2612 and Inphonik are in no way affiliated with these companies.
Pricing and Availability: