Irijule tells us that they are nearing a million dollars in funding for their Kickstarter campaign for the TheoryBoard Thy333, as discussed on Sonic Talk 627. Here's their press release...
In short, the TheoryBoard is a music theory MIDI controller that allows anyone to make music. It can help a complete novice jumpstart into music production by cutting out the dreaded music theory learning curve, OR help a veteran producer derive new inspiration. The TheoryBoard gives you access to over 840 scales from all over the world. When a scale is loaded the user has access to every possible note and chord within that scale. This makes it impossible to play a wrong note. The TheoryBoard Thy333 comes packed with nearly 2 billion different chord combinations! The colorcoded system and intuitive layout lends to a completely new way of perceiving music. This promises to be of value to anyone interfacing with it, no matter what their skill level is.
Here are some quick tech specs:
• 840 Chromatic and Diatonic Scales, Chords + Melody
• 1,981,808,640 Possible Chord Combinations via the Theory Engine
• 96 Velocity Sensitive Keys with Polyphonic Aftertouch
• 24 Hot Swap Keys for on-the-fly Direct Modulation & Modal Interchange scale switching
• 96 RGB LEDs provide visual link between chord side and melody side (48 chords
+ 48 single notes)
• Touch Screen Display with OLED Screen
• On-the-fly Chord Augmentation (Spread, Voicing, Octave)
• Octave Stacking Technology
• Pentatonic Scale Systems
• Guitar Voicing Feature
• Live Note Update Function
• Ports: USB MIDI, TRS-A MIDI Out, TRS Sustain In, 5V Power In
• Compatible with computers, synthesizers, and mobile devices
• Dimensions: 27.25" x 5.5" x 0.9"
This is Irijule's second successful Kickstarter (they raised 422k in late 2017 and successfully shipped 850 units to their backers). This campaign is crushing their goal of 10k and is now over 9,000% funded (they just passed 930k last time we checked).
Evan Swanson (Irijule's CEO and Co-founder) on the success of the current Kickstarter: "With the success of this campaign we'll be able to fast track most of the feature requests from our backers. The input from the community is my favorite part about running these campaigns because someone might see a pattern/implementation/feature that is outside of my knowledge base. It allows you to outsource ideas from a vast community of musicians. Everyone has their own knowledge base and unique perspective when it comes to making music, so it's really valuable to be able to bounce ideas off of everyone. I try to keep my mind open to any and every idea. It benefits everyone because it helps us create a better product which in turn, makes a happier customer in the end. It's like a positive feedback loop, I love it."
Here is a list of the feature requests that they aim to implement before shipping out units in December:
• Performance mode (allows user to save chords in a designated area to recall for
• Change color palettes
• Bass mode (doubles notes so they can be played with rapid fire in tandem)
• Arpeggiator (Irijule already has a beta version of this)
• Step sequencer (sequence chords AND/OR single notes)
• Allow program changes via MIDI CC, NRPN, or single pads designated to
individual MIDI channels
• Change voicing, spread, or octave of singular chords instead of the whole set
(and save them this way)
• Different strum types besides up and down
• Pitch/mod support on pads or touch screen
• Juxtapose chords on both sides (same scale or not)... same with single notes
(mix and match anything)
• Support MIDI in via USB
• Alternative spread function. Spread "root note" or "spread entire chord" (this
gives big open voicings)
• Turn off octave folding
• Live note update automatically updates via MIDI IN when chords are played in
• Latch key in menu. Press pad... latched... press again... unlatched
• Drum kit mode
• Live note update on own its own MIDI channel
Another perk to blowing past their funding goal is that Irijule can now allow more backers in at the discounted Early Bird price. They plan on keeping this open until the $1,000,000 milestone is reached, so claim your spot before it's too late!