Step Audio has announced the immediate availability of its latest effect controller, Pilot Wave, which they say takes MIDI-enabled pedals to the next level by dynamically modifying up to 10 parameters at a time using sequences of up to 16 steps.
A spokesperson told us, "Step Audio’s patented Pilot Wave turns any MIDI-enabled pedal into a dynamic, rhythmic musical instrument."
While Tap Tempo and MIDI Clock sync are included, Pilot Wave offers 7 unique ways to manually control sequences. Step Audio says that these one-button modes provide a far more natural and intuitive way to play along with a live drummer and shifting tempo. You control the speed of the sequence rather than it controlling you.
A Quick Start page loads Pilot Wave with 16 original presets for popular pedals including Chase Bliss Condor, Meris’ Enzo and Hedra, as well as Strymon’s Riverside and TimeLine, with many more to come.
- Pilot Wave can control a single pedal, or up to ten at a time
- Switching presets on-the-fly is simple
- 16 presets are accessible using the pedal, and 128 with an external MIDI controller
- Up to 6 Program Changes sent at each preset to recall programs on downstream devices
- Each preset allows up to 10 separate MIDI Control Change (CC) sequences of up to 16 Steps
- 10 unique playback modes, including 7 manual control modes
- It's easy to create, edit, and share Pilot Wave sequences using the Online Programmer
- Because the Online Programmer uses Google Chrome, there is nothing to download and it works on any computer
- One cable is all it takes to empower your MIDI-enabled pedals. No mods, no hassle!
Pricing and Availability:
Pilot Wave sells for $199, and includes a premium USB-MIDI device as well as 3 different Step Audio MIDI cables for connecting most devices.