Wavesfactory has announced Cassette, an audio plug-in that they say emulates the sound of vintage cassette tapes and decks. They tell us that it has been carefully modelled after exhaustive analysis of audio examples recorded into real tapes. so
Wavesfactory founder Jesus Ginard told us, “This is my tribute to the sound that shaped my childhood. I grew up listening to them at home, on the car or on a walkman. They are not perfect, in fact, they are far from perfect. That’s what I love about them. Cassette has been designed to be fun, pleasant to the ear and true to the medium”
Here’s more details in Wavesfactory’s own words…
Cassette imparts the same sound and behaviour of the original units.These include a different frequency response, frequency dependent saturation, high-frequency compression, hiss, asperity noise and much more. Reproduction systems will also induce their fingerprint: wow, flutter, random high-frequency loss, crosstalk between channels, stereo unbalances and other. All of these little quirks and random fluctuations have been modelled meticulously. Cassette imprints instant nostalgia, movement and analog feel all around in its path.
ONE PLUGIN - 4 CASSETTE TYPES
Cassette has modelled the four cassettes types available. Each one delivers different sonic characteristics.
- I: was the standard and most compatible tape format. Featured a ferric-oxide coating (Fe2O3). First appeared in the 1960s.
- II: with a chromium dioxide (CrO2) formulation was introduced at the dawn of the 1970s featuring an undeniable increase in high frequency response.
- III: living a short period between the mid 70s and early 80s, the ferro-chrome (FeCr) never made it into the golden era.
- IV: metal-formulated hit the scene at the end of the 70s. Features firmer bass as well as louder high frequencies.
Changing tapes will have an effect in the frequency response of the plugin but also in the saturation, compression, static noise (hiss) and dynamic noise (asperity noise).
RANDOMNESS UNDER CONTROL
Cassette offers under the hood control of many aspects of tape emulation they include;
- Tape: Control how much of the tape effect is applied including frequency response, saturation and more.
- Stability: Control how the Stability parameter in the front panel works internally. Includes “randomness” in order to make things unpredictable and analog.
- Extra: More of what makes a cassette sound like a cassette. Including the innovative “Re-Cassette” parameter.
- Artifacts: Control how the Artifacts parameter in the front panel works internally. Includes “Random Snap” for simulating the tape being caught momentarily causing pitch instability.
No iLok or challenge response needed for registering Cassette.
At the time of the purchase customers will receive an e-mail containing username and serial number.
Mac OSX (64-bit only): 10.7 or higher. DAW capable of hosting VST, VST3 or AU, or Pro Tools.
Windows (64-bit only): Windows 7, 8 or 10. DAW capable of hosting VST or VST3 plugins, or Pro Tools.
Pricing and Availability:
€29.00 intro price until December 3rd 2019 - normally €59.00 after that date.
50% discount for Sonicstate visitors too