A new Finnish synthesizer manufacturer Supercritical Synthesizers is releasing their first product, the 16 Voice Demon Core Oscillator. They tell us that the eurorack module is essentially 16 analog oscillators with digital control packed into one 12HP module, with a number of ways to spread, stack and modulate the individual pitches. The companion 8HP module Demon Core Expander allows polyphonic control of the 16 voices via MIDI and CV, bringing versatile polyphony to the eurorack world. Here's more details in the company's own words...
The DCO module offers 16 oscillators with either sawtooth or pulse waveforms which can be stacked in unison or in octaves To give life to the oscillators the module features a static detune spread control ranging from subtle to extreme supersaw qualities and the Core Stability control which introduces VCO-like pitch drift and jitter, allowing the module to sound like 80’s big polyphonic VCO machines in unison at moderate settings, or like a collection of misbehaving oscillators at extreme settings. It also features a 1V/oct pitch input, a very intuitive concert pitch tuner, CVs for linear FM, spread, detune and PWM. Further, a time sync input synchronizes the whole stack of oscillators phases, which can be used with detuning to produce massive bass or brass synthesis.
The Demon Core Expander module introduces polyphonic control of the DCO. The stacks can be divided between up to 16 polyphonic voices via MIDI or four 1V/oct inputs with attenuator. The oscillator can be set in continuous streaming mode or in MIDI gating mode with an ADSR envelope for each polyphonic voice. The time sync can be also triggered via MIDI for each voice and the phase sync time can be adjusted from past to future. The expander provides a handy MIDI interface and some extra CV controls.
Main module tech specs:
- 12hp, skiff friendly with 25mm depth.
- 120mA +12V and 20mA -12V
- 16 configurable voices (octave, stacks)
- Saw and pulse waves with PWM ranging from 0-100%
- Coarse tune for 6 octave range with half-step increments
- Fine tune for ± half step range
- A blinking tuning indicator for finding C note in every octave and A440 fine tuning
- 1V/oct master pitch CV
- Linear FM CV (±8V) with attenuator
- Combined Spread / PWM CV (±8V) with offset function
- Stability CV (±8V) with offset function
- Trigger input for synchronizing the phases for all waves
- Mono audio output
- A function (shift) button to do magic for different controls!
- Software updates via audio
- Secure shrouded power connector with a supplied power cable
Expander module specs:
- 8hp, skiff friendly with 25mm depth.
- Powers from main module, connects via supplied ribbon cable
- Connected, the oscillator draws now 130mA +12V and 30mA -12V
- MIDI interface with bipolar TRS-connector
- MIDI thru, polarity set with jumpers on the back
- MIDI channel learn function with pitch bend setting
- Gate output, 5v 4ms trigger in retrig
- Configurable polyphony, ADSR envelope for each voice
- Four pitch CVs (±8V) with global attenuator
- Control for phase sync timing
Pricing and Availability:
The 16 voice Demon Core Oscillator and Expander are available in May-June 2019 and pricing TBA soon.
Cursus Iteritas Percido, Fractio Solum, Terci Ruina and Sinc Bucina