Currently featuring in a Kickstarter campaign, the Percussa Super Signal Processor (SSP) Eurorack Module is a Eurorack module based on one of the most powerful quad-core ARM Cortex A17 processors currently available, running an optimized linux mainline (v4) kernel, custom DSP software and professional audio I/O drivers.
Here's the full details in Percussa's own words...
The Percussa SSP module offers the processing power of roughly 10 digital eurorack modules:
Common processors in Eurorack modules are the single core Cortex M4 and M7 processors, which at their highest clock frequencies of around 200MHz stay below 500 DMIPS. Some eurorack modules have started using more advanced processors, for example the single core Cortex A8 at 1GHz, which offers around 2,000 DMIPS of processing power.
In contrast, the quad-core ARM cortex A17 platform, used in the Percussa ENGINE (part of Synthor System 8, a digital modular synthesizer), provides over 20,000 DMIPS of processing power, with its 4 cores running at 1.8GHz.
Such computation power allows the user to run DSP algorithms at higher sample rates, enabling better quality sound, or run multiple modules in parallel, saving the user space in his or her eurorack system and providing a simple and uniform user interface to multiple modules.
Based on our tests with the Percussa ENGINE, we estimate the SSP will be able to run 8 wavetable oscillators, with the unison / cloud feature set to 8, which means that it is effectively running 64 oscillators in parallel, with the global Reverb and Delay section enabled.
We will make a C++ SDK available as part of this project and will strive to foster a community of people who want to create custom modules.
Key Features & Specifications
- 8 outputs via high end AKM DAC with 32 bit resolution / 192kHz sample rate (AK4458)
- 2 inputs via high end AKM ADC with 32 bit resolution / 192kHz sample rate (AK5552)
- Support for eurorack DC voltage level ranges on inputs and outputs (-5V to +5V)
- Low-noise power supplies and op-amp stages, featuring 0.1% resistors
Control Voltage I/O
- 14 inputs via industrial ADCs or via AKM audio ADCs (see "status of project" section)
- Support for eurorack DC voltage level range (-5V to +5V)
- Quad core processor running at 1.8 GHz per core 32-bit SIMD and 64-bit floating point arithmetic
- 32-bit floating point ADC/DAC input / output
- Capable of running multiple software modules in parallel on multiple cores
- Supports recording audio inputs and outputs directly to SD card for instant wavetable / sample creation or recording of live performances without the need for external software
- Supports loading your own WAV files into the Wavetable Oscillator and Sampler software modules, via the SD card (limited only by SD card size / RAM size)
- Coarse and Fine frequency controls on all Oscillators
- Comes with a set of 100+ pre-recorded samples / wavetables
- Storage and Recall of Presets and Settings with the press of a button
- Rule-based fast 2D patching
- Supports routing / mixing multiple inputs to multiple software modules
- Supports routing / mixing multiple software modules to multiple outputs
Included DSP modules (see stretch goals for additional modules)
- Wavetable Oscillator with true 3D morphing (XYZ) and cloud features
- Sampler with Layering features
- LFO with multiple waveforms (sine, saw, square, triangle)
- Variable Frequency Noise
- DC generator
- Enveloped Generator with Exponential A and DR
- Comb Filter
- State Variable Filter
- Step Sequencer
- SDK with examples for writing your own modules in C++
- Support on the SSP to load your modules from the SD Card
Display, Graphics and User Interface
- 1600x480 pixel wide format full colour LVDS IPS display
- 2D & 3D Graphics acceleration support (see stretch goals)
- 4x High quality Aluminium Machined Knobs
- 4x Bourns Endless and Click-less Encoders
- 18x Industrial Temperature MEC Switches
- User interface design featuring shallow menus (no menu diving), large fonts for readability and signal input / output Oscilloscope features
- 1 USB device port with USB Audio Class 2.0 support
- 1 USB host port with USB MIDI class and USB ethernet adapter support
- Serial (header) connector on PCB to access linux serial console
- 1 microSD card slot 16 GB professional microSD card (not included in DIY pledge) with FAT partition for easy sharing of presets and samples and for software updates (OS agnostic)
- 2GB onboard RAM
Dimensions and Front Panel
- 60HP width, 3U in height (eurorack compatible, see pledges for customization options)
- 50mm depth behind front panel (estimated)
- 2mm thick CNC machined / laser cut aluminium front panel, sandblasted and black anodized (see pledges for customization options)
- 350mA @ +12V and 50mA @ -12V consumption (estimated)
- Standard 16-pin eurorack power connector
Pricing and Availability:
Production unit from $1,500. Estimated delivery May 2018
See website for all options.