Affilliate Links help support the site
Empirical Labs Mike-E
microphone preamplifier as launched at this years Winter NAMM show in Anaheim is now shipping. Here's how the company describe it...
The Mike-E from Empirical Labs is a modern digitally controlled Microphone Preamplifier chocked with unusual features to warm and soften the source, along with an excellent compressor/limiter.
Mike-E offers an incredible performance transformer-coupled mic preamp, whose noise floor is far below any microphone's self noise.
The one-of-a-kind 'CompSat' section is an uncompromising compressor and saturator circuit that offers versatile 'coloring', and classic knee compression.
Mike-E's Seven circuits
- 1. Mic Preamplifier with super low noise & stepped gain switching.
- 2. Built in 'Direct Box', called the 'Inst In', offers unparalleled
distortion, noise, and frequency response when pre-amping
- 3. 'Colored' 80Hz High pass filter emulates the warm low
frequency cut of our favorite vintage equalizers.
- 4. Phase Switch to invert the audio signal 180 degrees.
- 5. CompSat offers both a musical Compressor/Limiter and a unique
tape-like saturation circuit.
- 6. Emphasis high-frequency emphasis system softens high
frequency 'pile-ups' and further the creamy color of the Mike-E.
- 7. Mix Control allows the blending of the Compressed/Saturated
signal with the clean unprocessed "Dry" signal.
Pricing and Availability:
- Freq. Response is 3 Hz to 200 kHz on (No CompSat). CompSat is 3Hz â€“ 150Khz. Optional Transformer output is 6Hzâ€“80kHz.
- Signal to Noise - 130 dB signal to Noise.at 40dB gain. Maximum output is +28dBu.
- Distortion Ranges between .0006% and 15% depending on mode and settings.
- Transformer coupled Input, Active and Transformer Outputs available. High quality audio caps used internally.
- Input Impedance is 600 Ohms. Output impedance is less than 38 ohms.
- Attack/Decay Ranges - .9 â€“ 100mS attack. .15 â€“ 1 Sec.
- Power Consumption â€“ 15 Watts Max.
Mike-E is available now for Â£1585/â‚¬1629.