Empirical Labs Mike-E microphone preamplifier as launched at this years Winter NAMM show in Anaheim is now shipping. Here's how the company describe it...
The Mike-E from Empirical Labs is a modern digitally controlled Microphone Preamplifier chocked with unusual features to warm and soften the source, along with an excellent compressor/limiter.
Mike-E offers an incredible performance transformer-coupled mic preamp, whose noise floor is far below any microphone's self noise.
The one-of-a-kind 'CompSat' section is an uncompromising compressor and saturator circuit that offers versatile 'coloring', and classic knee compression. Mike-E's Seven circuits
1. Mic Preamplifier with super low noise & stepped gain switching.
2. Built in 'Direct Box', called the 'Inst In', offers unparalleled
distortion, noise, and frequency response when pre-amping
3. 'Colored' 80Hz High pass filter emulates the warm low
frequency cut of our favorite vintage equalizers.
4. Phase Switch to invert the audio signal 180 degrees.
5. CompSat offers both a musical Compressor/Limiter and a unique
tape-like saturation circuit.
6. Emphasis high-frequency emphasis system softens high
frequency 'pile-ups' and further the creamy color of the Mike-E.
7. Mix Control allows the blending of the Compressed/Saturated
signal with the clean unprocessed "Dry" signal.
Freq. Response is 3 Hz to 200 kHz on (No CompSat). CompSat is 3Hz â€“ 150Khz. Optional Transformer output is 6Hzâ€“80kHz.
Signal to Noise - 130 dB signal to Noise.at 40dB gain. Maximum output is +28dBu.
Distortion Ranges between .0006% and 15% depending on mode and settings.
Transformer coupled Input, Active and Transformer Outputs available. High quality audio caps used internally.
Input Impedance is 600 Ohms. Output impedance is less than 38 ohms.