Affilliate Links help support the site
Here's the press release...
TC announces what every bass player has been waiting for â€“ an amp rig without compromise
For years, bass players have had to compromise with their amp rigs â€“ but not anymore. TC Electronic enters the bass player market with an amp system without compromise â€“ now bass players really can have it all...
When it comes to designing revolutionary products, TC Electronic is used to taking the rulebook and ripping it up. After three decades of doing just that in the guitar, studio and desktop music making markets â€“ and designing many award-winning and revolutionary products along the way â€“ the company has now applied its considerable expertise to the bass market, with stunning results. The RebelHead450
bass head, RebelStack
cabinets and RebelControl
combine to deliver an incredible bass rig that has been designed without compromise and one that will, quite simply, revolutionize the world of bass amplification.
With RebelHead450, RebelStack and RebelControl, TC Electronic turns the bass amp market on its head with a system that delivers everything and loses nothing. It boasts a big sound, the best in new technology, ease of use and convenience â€“ yet is practical, flexible and durable enough to be used on the road, in rehearsal rooms and in the studio.
BIG on power, BIG on personality...
RebelHead450 is loud and proud and hides some extraordinary technology behind its more traditional fascia. TC Electronic has a long heritage of designing amps, and with its Active Power Managementâ„¢ has effectively designed an amp in RebelHead450 that behaves very much like a tube amp with 450 Watts of power. The unit has traditional tone controls but also includes groundbreaking features to really give the amp a personality and sound all of its own. TubeToneâ„¢ emulates all of the characteristics of a traditional tube circuit to deliver an unparalleled and rich experience, while SpectraCompâ„¢ offers the best in studio quality compression for a live situation. With its 'per string' compression, SpectraCompâ„¢ delivers more bite and punch than any other compressor in any other bass amp system. Importantly, as well at the ideal tone players can quickly and easily get the right pitch with RebelHead450's on-board Tuner. Having a tuner is a fundamental need for bass players, yet so many other amp systems lack this essential asset.
Ultimate flexibility, ultimate portability â€“ Rebelhead450 is the ideal amp for the studio, road and rehearsal room because bass players can easily take it anywhere they like and use it for whatever they like. With three on board user memories they can quickly swap sounds or instruments mid gig â€“ an instant solution for those who want to recall their favourite sonic combinations or who take more than one bass guitar with them on tour. And for the touring musician, Rebelhead450's Auto-sensing PSU means that players can plug and play safely in whatever country they are in â€“ no fuse changing necessary. But RebelHead450 isn't just a great amp for touring. The Rehearsal Input socket allows bass players to plug in a variety of audio sources so they can play along with whatever tunes they like for practice, while the Recording Output connection, with a 96kHz direct to digital connection, also makes RebelHead450 the perfect bass solution for the recording studio.
New technology, traditional values â€“ RebelHead450 is for every bass player.
With over 20 years experience at the forefront of Signal Processing technology, TC Electronic delivers the best in cutting edge features within RebelHead450, but the unit is exceptionally easy to use thanks to the clear layout of the front panel and easily accessible back panel. RebelHead450 will therefore appeal to all bass players, from those new to the bass right up to the professional player who appreciates the finer points of bass playing.
Finally, a system that delivers everything that a bass player needs in an amp. But there's more...!
The perfect on-stage cabinet solution
RebelHead450 is available as a standalone unit or combined with custom made RebelStack210 or 212 bass cabinets. Where RebelHead450 will transform the bass amp market, RebelStack is a system that will revolutionize on-stage performance. Bass players who use traditional 4 x 10" cabs are always faced with the same problem when playing live: placing a 4 x 10" cabinet on the floor means they get great bottom end but no pitch recognition, but put it on a stand and they get great pitch but no low end. The solution is to use RebelStack210's convenient vertical 4-driver stacking system that gives players the best of both worlds â€“ great sound and pitch â€“ and in a system that's light and portable enough for them to carry from gig to gig. RebelStack212 is a 12" version that is as easy to stack as the 210, and both can be used in combination, making on-stage placement of cabinets a breeze.
Total control at any time
Last but not least is the optional RebelControl remote control system. Designed as a floor controller for RebelHead450, RebelControl offers a tuner indicator, three preset foot buttons to change the three user memories, and a mute button. RebelControl is conveniently powered from the amp and is a great addition to the system.
TC Electronic welcomes bass players to a new era of amplification!
RebelHead450, RebelStack and RebelControl herald a new dawn for bass amplification â€“ suddenly the bass amp market has a 21st century product with revolutionary features, new technology and traditional values. Quite simply, no other amp rig blends the best of the old and new so perfectly, and no other system includes such a relevant feature-set for today's bass player within such a compact and practical set-up. TC Electronic has shaken up yet another market â€“ bass players rejoice!
RebelHead450 â€“ Key Features:
- SpectraCompâ„¢ s â€“ Most bass players know that integrated compressors generally don't sound that good. A regular compressor tends to be dominated by the lower string, but RebelHead450's SpectraComp technology allows virtually 'per string' compression that evens out the compression across all strings.
- User memories â€“ Most bass players don't use presets, but only because they've never had the chance! Any player who has used different basses on stage knows that a few user memories on their amp would be welcome. With RebelHead450 they can easily switch between, for example, their 4- and 5-string basses, or their Rickenbacker and Fender Jazz. Just plug the bass in and use the 'car radio' style Store & Recall controls to easily switch between presets for the chosen model. There are three user memories, remote control access and indicators for Mute and the Tuner.
- TubeToneâ„¢ â€“ Most transistor designs have tried to replicate the tube sound using one small pre-amp tube, but they generally fail, as they don't take into account the crucial characteristics of the full pre-amp and power amp sections â€“ both of which are essential to the sound. TubeToneâ„¢ emulates every characteristic to deliver the full tube sound.
- Tuner â€“ every bass player needs a tuner, but virtually no other amp out there offers anything other than a 'tuner out' feature... until now! Simply push the Mute button to get a full-resolution tuner 'light ring' to help players tune their instrument quickly and accurately. And there's also a handy remote that gives easy access to this functionality.
- DI Output â€“ Quality can vary wildly with built-in DIs, but RebelHead450's DI is transformer balanced and galvanically isolated from the rest of the amp, which means no ground loops and hum. And don't worry about long cable runs â€“ RebelHead450 will draw at least 100m of cable with no drop in audio quality.
- Recording Output â€“ The AES/EBU connector means players can record straight into their DAW, such as Pro Tools or Logic. For maximum flexibility it's S/PDIF compatible and also switchable from pre to post in the pre-amp section.
- Rehearsal Input â€“ Playing any instrument on its own can be a little dull, but everyone needs time to practice â€“ which is why RebelHead450 has a built-in Rehearsal Input. The Rehearsal Input allows players to plug in their iPod, phone, computer or MP3 player via the supplied mini-jack to RCA cable adapter, so they can easily practice and play along with other music. The headphone amp is a high quality model taken straight from TC Electronic's Studio Konnekt 48 and includes a speaker filter on the bass signal.
- Insert point + Speakon connector â€“ All pretty standard stuff, but worth noting that the Speakon connector doubles as _" jack output as well.
- Auto-sensing PSU â€“ The ultimate in convenience for the traveling musician. The built-in power supply operates from 90 to 240 Volts, making life a lot easier for the musician on the road as there's no complicated fuse changing â€“ just plug and play!
Finally, the high power output level
of RebelHead is accomplished by using Class D amplifier technology in combination with TC Electronic's Active Power Managementâ„¢. APM effectively means that the amp behaves very much like a tube amp when getting close to maximum performance by optimizing the power impact, contrary to the hard clipping tendencies of transistor amps and most other Class D amps.
The developer comments:
"We built this amp with a combination of our extensive and proven TC technology and simply listening to bass players of every level, from world class session players to the hard working, amateur club circuit bassist," says Uffe Kjems Hansen, head of TC Electronics' instrument amp section, and bass player since the early 80s. "I've always loved bass so much, so when opportunity knocked and we got a chance to do RebelHead, the team and I made sure it would mean a new dawn for bass players, combining all their wishes and desires, sound- and feature-wise."
Pricing and Availability:
RebelHead 450 retails at a recommended price of EUR 950 excl. VAT , RebelStack 2x10 retails at a suggested price of EUR 480 excl. VAT, RebelStack 2x12 retails at a suggested price of EUR 580 and RebelControl rtails at a suggested retailprice of EUR 190 excl. VAT and all these fantastic units ship Q1 2009.