Steinberg has announced the
release of the Software Development Kit
(SDK) for VST3
, the latest generation of its VST platform. VST3
offers new capabilities to developers of host applications, audio plug-ins and virtual instruments. The SDK
can be used under free license, and is available for download at the Steinberg website.
Steinbergâ€™s General Manager, told us,â€œVST3 opens up new possibilities for products and technologies in the audio industryThe new capabilities provide a new platform for innovation, with features that will
make a big difference to developers and users alike. The release of VST3 underlines Steinbergâ€™s ongoing commitment
to innovation and creativity in audio technology.â€�
Already implemented in their Cubase and Nuendo product ranges, Steinberg say that VST3 offers a range of new features and
advantages over other standards...
- Enhanced CPU efficiency: unique silence detection feature automatically switches off the plug-in if no audio signal is
- Multiple Dynamic I/Os: VST3 plug-ins are fully surround-capable, and can be configured to receive from and output
to any I/O configuration, including any surround format
- Dynamic Bus Management: VST3 plug-in output busses can be reassigned at any time, streamlining the integration of
plug-ins with the VST mixer
- Sample-accurate automation: Parameter changes can now be automated with extreme precision, including supported
for â€˜rampedâ€™ data
- Resizable editing windows: The new SDK allows dynamic resizing of windows, allowing improved flexibility in the
use of valuable screen space
- VSTXML for Remote Controllers: VSTXML file support allows parameters to be represented on remote controller
surfaces, including changing order, naming and much more
- Audio Inputs for VST Instruments: VST3 instruments can be assigned audio input busses, opening up a large range
of exciting new creative possibilities
- Multiple MIDI inputs/outputs: VST3 extends the MIDI I/O capability for plug-ins, allowing multiple MIDI inputs and
- Optional SKI Integration: Combined with the use of the additional Steinberg Kernel Interface (SKI), VST3 plug-ins
can integrate directly into Steinberg host software at application level, enabling VST3 plug-ins to create tracks,
perform copy/cut/paste tasks and many other operations
- New Developer Tools: Designed to enhance the process of engineering VST3 products, VST3 offers a clearly
structured, object-oriented C++ interface, an automated testing environment, an advanced preset system, a model test
host application, sample source code and much more.
Available now for download.