Affilliate Links help support the site
You may have seen a preview of UpMix
in our NAMM coverage back in January. We have just heard from Cycling '74 in San Francisco that it is now available.
UpMix is a surround processing and mixing software package, developed and tested by a team of surround sound professionals and utilizes proprietary algorithms to convert stereo audio into an immersive 6-channel mix suitable for Film, DVD, HD Broadcast and Music surround formats.
Cycling 74 say that the flagship plug-in provides functionality that can speed the repurposing of stereo or mono audio content into a surround environment. By providing a number of algorithms and advanced positioning control, UpMix offers an easy way to expand an entire mix or individual elements of a mix into immersive surround tracks.
Five additional plug-ins handle common surround mixing tasks:
- Rotator moves a 5.1 mix in a circular fashion-allowing the point of view to follow the on-screen action.
- ReRoute acts as a universal format router allowing the conversion of any 6 channel format to another.
- FoldDown gives you the ability to check your surround mix in stereo, with standards-based center channel and surround channel gain reduction options.
- ReBalance is a simple set of level controls for each of the six surround channels.
- LFE-6chan is a low-frequency generator/enhancer for both individual tracks and entire mixes.
According to Cycling 74, these tools provide an unprecedented level of control - when used as part of an engineer's toolkit, they can aid in the creation of a deep, immersive mix. UpMix promises to be an innovative tool that increases productivity and ease in professional surround productions.
UpMix is available for users of Pro Tools TDM (Macintosh OS X or Windows), Steinberg Nuendo and Cubase SX 3 (Macintosh OS X or Windows) and MOTU Digital Performer.
Pricing and Availability:
UpMix has a MSRP of $495USD and is available from the Cycling '74 website and retail dealers and distributors.