SonicLAB: The Prophet '08 Review Pt2
Arpeggiator, Sequencer and Conclusions
The Final Episode..
The Dave Smith Instruments Prophet '08 is the a new polysynth for the 21st Century, from the father of polysynths himself. In this second part of our in-depth review, William H tackles the arpeggiator and sequencer and addresses comments received in the light of the first episode.
The Prophet '08 Keyboard is available now at around Two Grand US$
Recently announced, the Prophet â€˜08 Synthesizer Module â€“ an identical desktop version (also rackable): $1500.
- 5-octave keyboard with semi-weighted action, velocity, and aftertouch.
- Spring-loaded pitch wheel and assignable mod wheel
- 256 fully editable Programs (2 banks of 128) with 2 Layers (2 separate sounds) in each Program.
- 16 x 4 gated step sequencer
- 2 digitally controlled analog oscillators (DCOs) per voice with selectable sawtooth, triangle, saw/triangle mix, and pulse waves (with pulse-width modulation), and hard sync.
- White noise generator
- 1 Analog Curtis low-pass filter per voice, selectable 2- and 4-pole operation (self-resonating in 4-pole mode).
- 3 Envelope Generators: filter, VCA, and assignable (four-stage ADSR + delay); Envelope 3 can loop.
- 4 LFOs
- Glide (portamento): separate rates per oscillator.
- Analog VCAs
Ins and Outs
- MIDI In, Out, Thru, and Poly Chain
- Main stereo audio output: 1/4" unbalanced
- Output B stereo audio output: 1/4" unbalanced
- Sustain pedal input: accepts normally on or normally off momentary footswitch.
- Pedal/CV input: responds to expression pedals or control voltages ranging from 0 to 5 VDC (protected against higher or negative voltages).
- Headphone output: 1/4" stereo phone jack.