SonicLAB: Just for Prophet. The '08 Polysynth Pt1
It's the second coming, should we rejoice?
Sons of the P
Dave Smith, some say the father of the Curtis chipped analog synth family has been breeding again. The latest offspring take the old family name of the Prophet â€“ and most certainly not in vain. The Prophet â€˜08 keyboard is an 8-voice subtractive polysynth, genetically linked to the classic Prophet 5 and cross bred with Evolver technology that has been present in many of DSI instruments of late.
We sent one to our arch synthesist William H, producer of our excellent Inside Synthesis series to give the little feller a work out.
In part one of his review we're given a look at what makes the P08 do what it does.
The Prophet '08 Keyboard is available now at around Two Grand US$
Recently announced, the Prophet â€˜08 Synthesizer Module â€“ an identical desktop version (also rackable): $1500.
- 5-octave keyboard with semi-weighted action, velocity, and aftertouch.
- Spring-loaded pitch wheel and assignable mod wheel
- 256 fully editable Programs (2 banks of 128) with 2 Layers (2 separate sounds) in each Program.
- 16 x 4 gated step sequencer
- 2 digitally controlled analog oscillators (DCOs) per voice with selectable sawtooth, triangle, saw/triangle mix, and pulse waves (with pulse-width modulation), and hard sync.
- White noise generator
- 1 Analog Curtis low-pass filter per voice, selectable 2- and 4-pole operation (self-resonating in 4-pole mode).
- 3 Envelope Generators: filter, VCA, and assignable (four-stage ADSR + delay); Envelope 3 can loop.
- 4 LFOs
- Glide (portamento): separate rates per oscillator.
- Analog VCAs
Ins and Outs
- MIDI In, Out, Thru, and Poly Chain
- Main stereo audio output: 1/4" unbalanced
- Output B stereo audio output: 1/4" unbalanced
- Sustain pedal input: accepts normally on or normally off momentary footswitch.
- Pedal/CV input: responds to expression pedals or control voltages ranging from 0 to 5 VDC (protected against higher or negative voltages).
- Headphone output: 1/4" stereo phone jack.