Rob Chappers takes a look at the Peavey Vyper 60 Valve combo. This little beast packs the brains of a digital DSP system for modeling amps, rack and stomp effects (with up to 5 at once) all with total recall, plus the analog goodness of 6 L6 tubes for the power and tone.
Peavey have been making a lot of great gear in recent times, and this chap has Chappers most pleased.
In this review he focusses on the general basic tone of the amp and models - always a good starting point before any shortcomings can be masked by the additional on-board effects.
The Vypyr 60 has plenty of guts to work in a live situation, providing enough power to work on stage without choking the tone at louder volumes.
- 60 watts.
- 24 amp channel models.
- Three-band EQ, master volume and pre- and post-gain controls.
- 6L6 tube power amp.
- 12' (305mm) custom-voiced modeling speaker.
- 11 editable rack effects.
- 11 editable stomp-box effects.
- Up to 5 effects SIMULTANEOUSLY.
- On-board looper (Sanpera™ pedal required).
- On-board chromatic tuner.
- 12 amplifier presets with up to 400 presets with optional Sanpera™ II footswitch.
- Studio-quality USB computer interface.
- MIDI In/Out.
- Tap tempo button.
- Studio-quality headphone output.
- MP3/CD/Aux input.
- Patented TransTube® technology in the preamp.
Includes evaluation version of REAPER and demo of Revalver™ HP.
Dimensions (HxWxD): 19.9' (505 mm) x 23.2' (590 mm) x 11.2' (285 mm)
Weight: 48.06 lb(21.8 kg)
MSRP $599 / £499
There's a lot to like here with a good price to boot.